Webinar sharing pioneering research from Iraq and Pakistan on hate speech targeting religious minorities and approaches to countering this.
Around the world hate speech, especially online hate speech, is on the rise. But it’s most dangerous in places riven by political insecurity and violence where religious minorities already suffer from discrimination. Social media storms can be whipped up and quickly lead to attacks on people and property and the systematic targeting of entire communities.
Launching four new CREID Podcasts sharing CREID research on hate speech, this webinar is a rare chance to hear from experts on the ground in Pakistan and Iraq who are doing pioneering research identifying and tracking local expressions of hate speech targeting religious minorities using specialist software and working with young people and local journalists to counter it.
This webinar was chaired by Emily Buchanan, CREID Podcasts host, and on also on BBC Radio 4 Sunday Programme.
Opening remarks by Mariz Tadros, CREID Director.
- Aila Gill, Programme Coordinator, CREID in Pakistan
- Claire Thomas, Deputy Director, Minority Rights Group
- Dunola Oladapo, Head of Avast Foundation Youth Leadership Board
- Haroon Baloch, Senior Program Manager, Bytes for All
- Iqbal Haider Butt,-Programme Advisor at Bargad, a leading youth development organisation in Pakistan
- Mehvish Hussain, Editor, BBC Urdu
- Naumana Suleman, Pakistan Lead and South Asia Coordinator, Minority Rights Group
- Dr Pshtiwan Faraj, Program Manager at Independent Media Organization in Kurdistan
- Rebecca Skippage, Editor, BBC Disinformation Unit
- Salam Omer, Editor-in-Chief, KirkukNow
New CREID Podcasts on hate speech
Incite! What is causing the rapid spread of hate speech against religious minorities and how can this be countered? Podcast interview with Claire Thomas (MRG) and Naumana Suleman (MRG)
Tracking and monitoring online hate speech: keywords and software Podcast interview with Haroon Baloch (Bytes for All) and Pshtiwan Faraj (Independent Media Organization in Kurdistan)
Defining the language of hate speech against religious minorities: compiling a lexicon of key words Podcast interview with Aila Gill (NCJP) and Pshtiwan Faraj (Independent Media Organization in Kurdistan)
Countering online hate speech: creating a counter narrative through good journalism and by working with young people Podcast interview with Abdul Bari (Bargad), Haroon Baloch (Bytes for All) and Salam Omer (KirkukNow)
“Growth over safety”? Latest Facebook revelations signal urgent need for partnerships to tackle hate speech (news)
Online hatred pushing minorities to the periphery: An analysis of Pakistani social media feeds (report)
The cost of hate speech: Policy brief for Punjab (policy briefing)
Deeply ingrained prejudice fuels hate speech in Iraq (news-story)
Pakistan: Minority youth able to share experiences of exclusion and challenge hate speech (impact story)