The programme has a three-pronged approach: to document the use of hate speech online and offline; to create counter-measures and advocacy to offset the impact of hate speech on freedom of religion or belief; and to address loopholes in legislation.
We began by consultation with religious stakeholders to design the approach and correct terminology, and activities will then include:
- Hate speech reporting
- The creation of a social media monitoring team
- Training for journalists, youth activists and civil society on confronting online hate.
- Advocacy briefing production and organisation of hearings.
- Strengthening data mining and analysis, communications and technical capacity.
- Production of monthly online hate speech reports and an annual report.
- Hate speech glossary produced in consultation with religious stakeholders.
- Periodic hate speech bulletin produced and published online.
- Training for journalists, youth activists and members of civil society conducted
- Grassroots advocacy campaign designed and carried out
- Advice for Iraqi government on draft legislation on hate speech.
- Final report published and advocacy roundtable organised.